Followers

Wednesday 1 July 2015

Mixed Media tutorial - Whipped Spackle

           

       I am no mixed media expert and I have  to especially thank Shalini for trusting me enough with new mixed media products for my DT post.And also special thanks to my blogger pals the super talented Rupa [ for sharing her vast crafty knowledge] and the mixed media whiz Jaya [for giving me so much information about mixed media products]!


This altered box has a mixture of materials and media ...there is foam, cardboard , metal, handmade resin,plastic,cloth and of course paper!

        Started by painting the box shown above with a mixture of  Gesso + a little white glue [ this tip is from Rupa who is an extremely talented mixed media artist...Thank you so much Rupa!] so as to help hold all the materials and media I was going to layer on it 

          Experimented with a special type of texture medium called Whipped Spackle which looks like whipping cream and is creamy and light weight just like whipping cream! 

I used a plastic knife[ have to invest in an artist palette knife!] to apply Whipped Spackle through a plastic stencil onto my  box.

Whipped Spackle dries pretty fast and when it was dry I dabbed the Versamark Watermark stamp-pad over it and poured  Ranger Gold embossing powder over it and heat embossed it.It does bubble a bit if you heat it so take care not to overheat with your heat gun!

If I didnt want the golden specks of embossing all over my box I could have used the  Antistatic pad shown below to dust over the areas I didnt want the powder to stick to...but in retrospect I am glad I didnt bother using it as I quite like the golden specks texturing my box! 

Sponged Tattered RosePeeled paint and Mustard seeds distress ink  on 3 areas of the box

The textured areas resisted the colors and remained golden so it made the contrast more lovely ! [I do urge you to use the proper  blenders made for distress inks...I somehow work better with the make up sponges !]

         The lacy hearts are layered Spellbinders  lace Heart die cuts.Inked one in the same distress inks I used to ink the box and also used the embossing pen to emboss a golden border on the heart

Used the tacky Tombow mono liquid glue to adhere it to the die cut hearts

Shalini introduced me to Wink of Stella in one of my DT packages [ also seen here :Accordion Card Flower tutorial ] and its one of my favorite products now!

Love how Wink of Stella can lend a subtle yet beautiful shimmer !

Mixed Media work is all about playing with your media, experimenting and having fun .  I mixed Golden Gelatos into Whipped Spackle to alter its color!

 I didnt  quite get the golden color I expected and I think uncolored Whipped Spackle looked more beautiful ! But I left it as such as it matched the muted colors of my project!


Since I didnt like the golden gelato + whipped spackle look, smeared some Gesso on the Whipped Spackle stenciled design on my box lid and lightly sponged it with Tattered Rose Distress ink.

The Oval Resin embellishment layered on a Tattered Lace rose die-cut  was made at home! [See more Handmade Resin here : Hadmade Resin Fairy]

The golden fan like rays you see emanating from the foam rose was made by using Whipped Spackle through an easy  homemadeStencil!

There are so many pretty stencils in Crafters Corner but if you feel like using a unique stencil use a die cut or a punch out to  make a temporary stencil!

I made the fan design by applying Whipped Spackle through a design punched out on cardstock !!

I used the  Martha Stewart Deep Edge border punch to create my "Stencil " !

Sharing some special features  about whipped spackle 
  • You can lay it on as thick or as thin as you want 
  • It holds its shape beautifully after drying. I could even lay my box flat face down without squashing the textured design! 
  • You can color it using different media
  • Dries faster than conventional Texture paste

 There are so many highly talented mixed media artists out there so please forgive the lacunae in my maiden mixed media creation!



Heat Embossing : Versamark Stamp Pad, Ranger Heat embossing Gun, Embossing Powder,Embossing Pen
Martha Stewart Border Punch, Pollen, Flowers, Charms
Dies : Spellbinders lace heart, Heartfelt creations Classic Leaf ,Tattered Lace rose
Adhesives : Foam Tape, Tombow Mono liquid Glue,

12 comments:

  1. What a lovely makeover to the box Sonia. Love the shabby look. Thanks for the shout out but this box is so "you". I like the way you have decorated the top and the use of temporary stencils is brilliant. Way to go doc, now more creations in mixed media!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rupa...what i loved about mixed media is there are no rules...what I dislike about it you cant really go back and correct a " mistake"!!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful ! Love the DIY stencil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Neha...hehe yes that daisy punch is being put to extensive use!

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous creation Sonia ji!!! I like the muted colours with the texture from the whipped spackle....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha..Welcome to the Gang Dr.Sonia !Love the shabby chic box ,you have experimented with lots of products and the homemade stencil is lovely ! Whipped spackle is on my buying list now !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Pooja...your card sitting on my work surface was so inspiring!

      Delete
  5. What a gorgeous altered box Dr Sonia ...For your first time tryst with mixed media you have managed to ace it.:):) ..Love the beautiful stenciling,the colors and ofcourse your awesome embellishing ..This project turned out superb :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Hussena...I really needed a morale boost for this one!

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous box Dr.Sonia...As always your project inspires me to give a try ...

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear from you !