- Stamp your image with an ink such as Versa fine which will not react and bleed with water!
- Allow enough time for the stamped image to dry before you water color or if you are in a hurry heat set it with a heat gun!
- Paper Matters!!
- Make and Use a Color Swatch Chart
Or better yet...make your own. This will come in handy as a quick reference for choosing colors while you color!
- While coloring an image such as an animal or human using different shades of the same color, apply dark colors first and blend out with the water brush. If you put dark colors later it is more difficult to blend without using more water!
- Deciding where to lay on the colors first!
- Always apply the brush pen directly to only small areas at a time as if it dries it wont blend well
- Coloring Skin Tones
- Adding Cheek blush!
- While water-coloring tiny areas such as the flowers in this mermaid image use the brush pens directly and use very little or no water as it can bleed easily!
- Coloring Hair!
- Last Tip is that if you dont get good results with your attempts try changing the type of water brush you are using and/ or the type of watercolor paper you are using!
Different Water Color Papers- Canson Montval and Brustro
The colors were however more vibrant and rich on the Brustro Paper and lovely for freehand water-coloring.
So the main point is to experiment with different brands of watercolor paper if you are not happy with your attempts!
I am not an expert at water-coloring but I do hope some of these tips will help beginners in their maiden attempts! The main thing is not to give up !
Here is a list of all the Supplies from Crafters Corner
Cheery Lynn Dies : sun flower,Cheery Lynn Rose Leaf
Spellbinders : Spellbinders Rose Creations
Dress my Craft: Dress my Craft papers, Dress my Craft sparkling dust, Dress my Craft Sequins, Dress my Craft Golf tools,
Stencil : Carabelle Studio Stencil Geometrie