Followers

Friday 17 February 2017

Dress My Craft Papers and Tools Rock!!


Hi friends, Thank you so much for all the love showered on my Altered KeyHolder posted earlier showcasing handmade flowers and Tutorials. Here is another altered project..this time a Tea-light holder dressed up in a fairy house style using lots of  handmade flowers , vines and crystals!

I am so in love with the new Dress my Craft Papers...they are superb for die cutting as due to the thickness of the papers, the shapes hold so well.
The roses were made using Dress my Craft Floral Oriental paper and Spellbinders Rose Creations  dies.

The tear drop crystals are gorgeous fillers I picked up from Crafters Corner. Love how they lend a magical touch to a project.

Propped up the dragon fly charm on floral wire to fly  above the flowers!


The yellow and pink blooms were also made using the same Spellbinders Rose Creations  die and Dress my Craft papers! Dont you just love it when you can stretch your supplies and make so many different flowers using a single die / punch.
        I had never been able to quite enjoy making the crushed flowers which are so popular...I think the problem was the paper I had been using. This time I used the Dress my Craft papers and tools.I loved how easy it was to crunch up the papers without tearing them and the best thing was the shape held wonderfully!

Here are some of the flowers I made using Dress my Craft papers and tools.

The rose is one of my favorite flowers to make and yes I agree its the toughest one to get right too!! 
I love to find  easier ways to do something and in the last Tutorial I showed you how to use an earbud to help shape the central bud of the rose...in this post I will show you how to use Dress my Craft tools to make your flower making quicker and  easier.
Materials

  • Dress my Craft Oriental Paper
  • Groove Golf Tool Set: used the 2 large ones here
  • Any 5 petal Flower die: Here I used the Spellbinders Rose Creations  die and used the 2nd largest die 
  • Distress Inks /other inks
  • Mister
  • Towel
  • Embossing Pad
  • Adhesive of choice : I prefer the hot glue gun for its fast results.
  • Dress my Craft Sparkling dust
Use any 5 petal flower shape and color whichever way you want.Use one color, ink only the edges or use 2 different shades. Just remember to color both surfaces of your flower as the rose is a 3 dimensional flower and you will see both sides on your final flower.
Mist lightly with water and blot gently with a towel.

To quickly and easily form the central bud , use the largest of the golf tools and roll your flower petal around it

This is so much quicker than embossing with  tools and much easier than simply trying to roll the petal into a cone using your fingers alone!

Do the same with all the petals of your flower.


To form a nice pointed cone, now take the 2nd largest golf tool and wrap one petal around it...sliding it up to the tapering end and rolling into a tight cone.


What I loved about the Dress my Craft paper is that not only is it super easy to shape by this method but also the shape stays nicely...see how the petal doesn't uncoil immediately but gives time to glue!

You need to do this with only one petal which will form the innermost core of your bud. Glue the other petals around this .
You can use hot glue if you are adept with it [meaning not prone to burning yourself and not using too much] or use a clear drying adhesive of your choice.

You can either glue the adjacent petals overlapping the edges or glue petals from opposite sides...it just slightly changes the look of your bud and gives a bit of variety!

Your bud is now ready ! Add a calyx and its ready to go on a project as it is!


For the layer immediately around the bud, again use the large golf tool and rather than emboss, simply wrap the petals around it like you did before.


Optionally,  use the pointed tapered end of your 2nd largest or smaller golf tools and gently curve the edges of the petal outwards.

 Glue around your bud

You can achieve a tight or loose look for your rose by choosing where you apply the glue:
apply glue only on the  base of the bud and you will have a looser rose
apply glue on the base and on the lower half of the sides of the bud...you will get a tighter rose!

For the outer layers [you can add 2-3 depending on how full a flower you want] use the large golf tool to nicely cup and add subtle texture to the petals.

If any area looks stiff ,switch to a smaller golf tool and go over that area. Keep in mind that if you want more embossing anytime switch to the smaller size of the golf tool.

Invert the cup shaped flower and press the center with the round end of the largest golf tool.

Glue this under your rosebud


And so with just 3  die cuts  you have made a cute little rose!

Add more layers if you want a fuller rose .
To jazz up your rose...apply adhesive medium [use spray adhesive, crackle paint, multi-medium matte, glossy accents etc] and sprinkle Dress my Craft sparkling dust or frosted sugar.


Doesn't the rose look beautiful !!!

And the best thing is it was not too hard to make too isnt it!!

The pink one below is the one I used in the tea light holder


And here is the tea light holder hanging from our miniature Orange tree!

I hope you found some of the tricks I have shared useful.Do tell me how it is.

Supplies : all from Crafters Corner
Dies : Spellbinders  :Spellbinders Rose Creations,Heartfelt Creations :Heartfelt creations Classic Leaf, Heartfelt creations Delightful Daisy Die, Cheery Lynn  Dragon fly
Stamps : Heartfelt Creations Open Leaf Stamp,Heartfelt creations Delightful Daisies Stamp
Inks : Ranger Archival Inks , Distress Inks  Embellishments & CharmsHeat Embossing Supplies
Flower making : Pollen, Crystal Fillers
Dress my Craft products: Flower Making Paper : Dress my craft collection exotica and Floral Oriental collection paper

Golf Tools : LARGEMEDIUM,  SMALLMINI and NEW : Golf tool set
Misc Tools:Funnel tray
Sparkling Dust from Dress my Craft

16 comments:

  1. Awesome Rose flowers, Spellbinders is one my favorite die

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous Sonia especially the pink rose. ..so real!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful !! I loved the handmade flowers a lot..the roses look so much like real ones :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Pooja..so wonderful to have you back in blogland

      Delete
  4. This is so beautiful...you are on a roll :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sampada...I am so in love with the Dress my Craft products right now!!

      Delete
  5. its an outstanding post for sure

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just gorgeous and thank you so much for the wonderful tutorial!
    marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh feels so good to have you visit me here Marie!!

      Delete

We would love to hear from you !